Monday 11 March 2013

Turning Cultural Expectations Around - Rape Culture

Today, I wanted to take a break from the Bill 18 discussion. It's so heavy, and there are a lot of articles for me to read before I formulate more opinion on it. Therefore, I was thinking of reviewing Super Junior M's latest song Breakdown. However, someone posted this lovely article on Facebook.
The article, 5 Ways We Can Teach Men Not To Rape, is an excellent reminder to look not to the victim but to the perpetrator to change the problem. By telling women it's their problem, we say that men cannot control themselves nor are responsible for their actions (this point is not actually made in the article, but is part of the problem). That's wrong. We can, and should look to positive solutions to one of the worst crimes a person can commit. I think the suggestions are fairly good ones.
Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment